Following a series of delays, Wynn Macau has announced that it will open its new resort, Wynn Palace, in the Cotai area of Macau, on August 22.
[dropcap]I[/dropcap]n a brief statement last month, Wynn Macau said: “The company expects that the opening of Wynn Palace will help launch a new era of prosperity for Macau, attracting more international tourists to the city and further supporting its development as a world centre of tourism and leisure.”
After opening its flagship Wynn Macau hotel-casino on the Macau Peninsula in 2006, the group purchased a 52-acre plot of land in Cotai in 2008. Steve Wynn, president and CEO of Wynn Resorts, officially unveiled plans for Wynn Palace in 2010.
The resort received government approval in 2011, and the project broke ground a year later. Since that time, however, the Wynn Palace opening date has moved back and forth on the calendar – at one point due to construction mis-estimates by the contractor.
In December 2015, Wynn told media that the date which had once been announced for March 25 would be moving to June 25.
Although the group has not yet provided information relating to table allocation, the $2.2bn (E2bn) Wynn Palace will feature 1,700 hotel rooms, a 30,000sq.m performance lake, a SkyCab and gondolas, along with a range of retail, dining and entertainment venues.